Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Needing to be Returned

 
I haven't posted must on my blog lately, that doesn't mean I haven't been painting. In fact just the opposite is true. I have been painting most days and posting to facebook. But I need to get back to blogging.
I have been painting some still lifes lately, mostly in the chiaroscuro style, or light from dark. I have a simple set up; a cardboard box painted black inside and a light. I have it set up so it is eye level when I am sitting at the easel.
This morning started of with heavy rain, I did not want to go any where. My canvas supply all seems to be on the big to very big size. I remembered I have some Arches oil paper. I taped a piece of Arches oil paper onto a piece of gator board. It is slightly bigger than 9x12. I can trim and mount it on a 9x12 board later if I want.
After setting up my still life; an idea I had from my kitchen counter which was becoming a gathering place for jars that need to go back to their owners. I did not pencil in but drew directly onto the paper will red oil paint and blocked in a thin layer of paint.
 
 
 
Now I remember! This paper absorbs a lot of the oil paints in the first layers, a tad challenging for my alla prima style of painting. I painted on a layer  of colour. I will let it dry and come back in with more local colours. This mushing in of colour will help me retain soft edges.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment